From Val's Desk

Sometimes when you are too poor to afford a psychologist, you can listen to your heart, sort things out, monitor your own growth, make decisions by writing things out... Some call it journaling...taking notes...bad poetry... Some experiences become understandable by giving them words...safely...privately on paper...to be shared when ready. It works...a cup of coffee...a yellow pad...a number 2 pencil...and a little time out....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spokane, Washington, United States

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Face the Day


I’m seeing the world of Leena,
a four year old Native American child
from St. Joseph’s Children’s Home.
We travel each week to
the Mental Health Center for play therapy.

Leena was raped by a foster father,
suffers from developmental disabilities,
seizures, and odd psychic moments
where she sees ...what no one else is privy to.

Her behaviors resulted in estrangement
from her immediate family.
The spiritual leaders of her tribe
were not able to help her.

Through her rambling words,
I see Leena’s fear of flooding by the river
that passes by the back door of St. Joseph’s.

Her view of Sister Nicola,
the keeper of the keys
(she bit Sister, the last time I brought her home)

I see her impish smile as she dared me
to guess what she had
“That was mine!” It was a Smile button.

Given to Leena to be worn
...when days were dim
when she couldn’t find a smile anywhere else
....not even in the mirror.

Fifteen minutes later
... I went to leave her in the treatment room
Leena came running back to the coat rack
...pinned on the button
and bravely went to face the day.

I wished I hadn’t given up
wearing Smile buttons ...sometime back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home